Wednesday, March 31, 2010

vaSTAYcation to Moloka'i

I think I can stay up as late as I want tonight because I don't have to work tomorrow but then I'm quickly reminded of 5 little reasons why that won't happen. So we'll make this quick and visual-friendly. Think of it as a picture book...with some words.


oh, idk, my elementary school bff Carter? came to visit during her spring break from Alabama. So fun to hang for a week although I will tell you it is hard to balance having to live here and entertain someone who is on vacation. (vacationing and living in Hawai'i are totally different). It was fun showing her the island and relaxing. We celebrated St Patrick's Day in Chinatown which was a crazy but toned-down version of St Pats in 5pts. Naturally we went to a luau as well. Paradise Cove should start having a punch card or something for how many times I've brought people there. At least they have good military rates. We also hiked Koko Head at sunrise during which my stomach was NOT cooperating--I'll spare the details. It was still beautiful and I enjoyed the time with Carter and my ex-future-neighbor Hannah.


oh, idk, my mom's bff Angela? and her hubbybubby spend a few months each year on Moloka'i. We all know momma di'int raise no fool so naturally I took advantage of the free oceanfront condo (don't want to forget the views of Maui and Lana'i and that other small island that starts with a 'K' from their lanai) and tour guides with a seabring convertible. After hearing about it from Buddy and Vincent all of these years it was great to spend a couple of days with them and see the island and soak up the rays. In their resort I was definitely Cameron Diaz a la In Her Shoes and met so many cute elderly couples who have been going there for years as well. I sat there while they smoked and shared their wisdom and advice for me to take full advantage of my youth. We covered the whole island so here are some pictures.
 
Halawa Valley where we enjoyed a little picnic on the black sand beach

Halawa Valley, the view behind us

the road to Halawa

old church where only the cement shell is still standing. There are still some services held here.

A new friend I met on a little morning walk

I could live in an ocean front condo for a few months of the year...

Kalaupapa, the old leper colony where people were exiled until a vaccine was introduced making it noncommunicable

Dixie Maru, named after a Japanese ship which sunk a few miles off the coast. I don't know if I spelled "dixie" correctly as far as the ship is concerned, so I just chose the southern way.

Papohaku beach park

Kaluakoi which used to be a nice little resort until a few years ago when it shut down. That's a story for later.


My new undertaking is hula and I debut this Easter Sunday at both a sunrise service and regular service. We'll see how this goes...

ON THE CALENDAR: oh, idk, my college bffs since freshman year Ginnie, Katie, and Alice? are trying to plan a little trip in August. When I think about it I sometimes come very close to peeing a little bit out of excitement so if it really does happen and all 4 of us are on the island at the same time...I'm packing some depends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment