Friday, September 18, 2009

a quick ode to Jane Doe

So I owned my first car that was to be in my name for about 30 minutes today.


1995 Nissan Pathfinder.


Asking price was $2500. I withdrew $2500 cash prepared to try and negotiate but if I liked it enough, just pay asking if they were firm.

Here's where it gets interesting. The girl who is selling it is off the island and signed it over to her brother who is still here so he could sell it for her. He knows nothing about the car, so people deal with the sister for questions, etc. then he just shows the car and collects. I drive the car for a bit, we look under the hood and everything looks good and I prepare to offer $2100 in mostly Jacksons (that's $20 bills...luckily the customer service had a few larger bills I could change out, but I digress). Chris has coached me on what to do so I'm ready. I pull out the wad of cash-monies and here's what happened:

me: "I want the car, and I've got $2100 cash here" (Dave Ramsey would be proud)
brother: "well, she said she'd take $2000"
I have a slightly confused look, remove five 20s from my wad of cash-monies and put them in my pocket
me: "okay...I want the car, and I've got $2000 cash"

talk about a hard bargain.

Anyway, I drive my new baby home and lock her up and go inside. Carrie wants to come meet her so I go back outside, stick the key in the door to find that the door locks are jammed on both sides and I can't get into my car. I had checked everything I could think of (power locks on the inside, windows, wipers, lights, etc) but it never occured to me that I may not be able to actually get inside my car. The brother said he had always left it unlocked since his sister left so he didn't realize the problem and he felt bad. Regardless of how genuine he was, he did give me all of my cash-monies back (PTL) so I'm back where I started a couple of hours ago, except this time with a story. Even though we didn't get to know each other enough for me to name her, Jane Doe will have a special place in my heart.

I'm not worried, I'll catch my break one day. I just gotta keep my eyes open.

No comments:

Post a Comment